Summer Months = Preparing for Change
It's the start of summer vacation for MSAD #27 students but we have already been getting ready for the start of the new school year on August 17, 2016! Lots of changes will be coming to Fort Kent Community High School so this first blog post is going to be a list of those many changes. I will have future posts that will explain each one individually. Without further ado here are the changes in no particular order (coming off the top of my head as I put this together):
- Graduation requirements clarification for the class of 2018, 2019, & 2020. (Including: class standing, "honor" speeches, and diploma designations)
- Full implementation of Proficiency Based Education for the class of 2020.
- Year 2 of Link Crew for the incoming Freshmen.
- The "reboot" of the Athletic Club.
- Installation of 2 new water fountains with the capability of filling water bottles!
- Closed campus for all students. (No more senior privilege.)
- A "new" Senior Room.
- New Honor Roll requirements for all students.
- Teachers will be using the learning management system Empower to report out on student progress toward standards. (Parent training is coming!)
- Implementation of Proficiency Based Diploma pathways for the class of 2020 and beyond.
- New sports eligibility policy.
- Conversion from NWEA testing to STAR testing.
- Continued use of Warrior Time with specific activities for this intervention period.
- Implementation of a Summative Trimester Assessment at the end of each Trimester.
- Beginning of a portfolio process to demonstrate Maine's Guiding Principles with all classes.
- The separation of Academics and Habits of Work.
- Seminars - this is in its infancy and we hope to pilot it Trimester 2 of the new school year!
All of the following items were listed off the top of my head but with a little more time it would be possible to extend the list! Anyone who thinks not much is happening here at FKCHS, we have more than enough to keep us busy! Personally, I am very excited about these changes as they have the potential to provide opportunities that will make each student's school experience a more engaging and enriching environment. Go Warriors!